For Myanmar, the newspaper reported that there were changes in their administration and cooperation among all people in the nation was being built up. Each party is willing to compromise for the sake of the country’s advancement. In the past, both sides held on their strong stance, and what has happened to the country? Myanmar has a climate that is not much different from Thailand. In the south, it is bordering the sea and easy for exports. It is abundant with natural resources. There are a lot of low-cost labor forces. With proper management, they have a good chance of development, particularly if the government opens the door to foreign investors, accepting modern technologies, then, the economic development can move faster. Regarding tapioca, it would be easy for Myanmar to cultivate, construct starch plants, drying yards, and ports for exports. Upon opening their country, Myanmar can definitely become a competitor of Thailand in exporting tapioca chip and starch within a few years. For rice and other agricultural products, there could be the same problem as tapioca products. In 2015, with the start of ASEAN Economic Community, there would be movement of goods, services, investment, and especially labors from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos might compete for employment with Thai labors. Businessmen from advanced countries like Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia, could enter and compete freely with Thai traders. By that time, what would Thai government do? Little Myanmar and Cambodian tigers are growing bigger. Do not let the history repeat itself. Therefore, Thai government, Thai merchants, and Thai people must be careful and not be too content with current advancement that seems to be better than others in the region. Do not keep on fighting among ourselves because the nation would become under-developed. Examples of Malaysia and Vietnam should be a warning sign for government and Thai people to cooperate in development for the progress of our country, to drive Thailand for further movement ahead. A slow progress is better than none. Problems of Thailand can be summarized as follows:
To sum up, Thai people since the past until present time are good and clever in their advanced ideas, in doing business, and acclaimed in services. But the standstill of Thailand’s economic is the responsibility of government and all Thai people to help in solving this easily by loving each other, joining hands, speaking the same language, doing and focusing on the nation’s benefit as the utmost importance, in order to push our country to move ahead for economic advancement, and to be the terrific tiger in the eyes of other nations in ASEAN.
- Difference of thoughts, factions, divided groups, symbolic color, disputes in every kind of subjects are problems of Thai people. How can the country progress if Thai people keep on fighting among ourselves?
- Most Thai people think of their own benefits and survivals, their own group, their own party, but not of the country. How can the country survive or compete with others around the world? It would be difficult to compete even within ASEAN.
- In the past 2-3 years, there were incidents of civil disorders affecting the economy. Tourists and investors alike have been scared away.
- Big floods affecting nearly the whole country, with large scale damages to properties of both Thai people and foreign investors, were the result of mismanagement. In the latest development, there has just been the case of flooding the last few days in Amphur Sena, Ayutthaya Province because of the release of water from two dams again.
- The turmoil in southern Thailand has continued for 7-8 years already without the end, with changes in the formats of violence all the time.